Welcome to the Overlander Sports Marathon
The Overlander Sports Marathon, Half-Marathon and 5/10km Run/Walk will be held on Sunday August 18, 2013. Please monitor this website for updates. Last updated on May 15.
Registration will open soon!
Registration includes a Buff (big thanks to Overlander Sports!), and pre-race meal for full and half marathon runners.
Friday, August 16, 2013
Last day to register. Registration closes at 23:59 MST.
Saturday, August 17, 2013
- Mandatory Event Package pick-up – 12:00 to 5:00 pm at Overlander Sports (4909, 50th Street)
- No race day pick-up available
Sunday, August 18, 2013
Race Day! All distances start and finish at Overlander Sports.
- Please arrive between 7:30 and 7:45 for full marathon
- Please arrive between 8:20 and 8:45 for half marathon and 5/10km walk/run
- Marathon starts at 8:00 am, pre-race announcements at 7:50
- Half-marathon starts at 9:00 am, pre-race announcements at 8:50
- 5/10 km Run/Walk starts at 9:00 am, pre-race announcements at 8:50
- Please park on the street nearby, there will be no on-site parking
The NWT Massage Therapists Association will be providing massage at the finish line as a fundraiser for their association. Cost will be $20 for 15 minutes of work on post race aches and pains.
The full marathon is a figure 8 course through Yellowknife and surrounding area which concentrates volunteer efforts to ensure that participants have an excellent race day experience.
The course will be marked and marshalled. You will pass by Yellowknife Bay, Back Bay and other historic areas.
There will be aid stations, race marshals, race signage, restrooms and spectator support along the route.
Marathoners will complete 2 laps of the course, while Half-Marathon participants will complete 1 lap.
10km participants will complete 1 lap of a 10.55 km loop, essentially the first 10km of the half-marathon loop outlined in red in the maps below.
The 5km course will begin in the same way as the courses above; however once looped through Old Town runners/walkers will continue up Franklin Ave opposed to turning left onto School Draw Ave and back to the start/finish via 44th street and 49th Ave.
There will be six aid stations over the 21.1 km figure-8 loop, with volunteers at each, refreshments (Gatorade/water/snacks), and communication to request emergency assistance. Aid stations will be located at:
- Old Town Station corner of Otto Dr. and Hearne Hill Rd – by the park
- Fraser Tower Station –across the street in the open space by the park/alley
- Pool corner Station – pool parking lot, relatively close to road
- Corner of Hwy 3 and Old airport Road Station –gravel lot near start of trail
- Videoland Station – on street near lights
- Overlander Sports – in the parking lot
Portable toilets at three locations on the 21.1km figure-8 loop, at:
- Overlander Sports
- School Draw and Franklin intersection in parking lot
- Bristol pits parking lot
- Participants should practice self-preservation and obey all rules of the road.
- Be respectful to others using trails.
- Run against the traffic, unless you are marshaled to do otherwise
- Thank the volunteers when you see them out on the course, without them, there wouldn’t be a race!
- Make sure to keep your number visible, if the timers don’t get your number, you won’t get a time.
Sorry, we aren’t answering any questions yet!!